Monday 1 September 2014

B12 and Me

I have thought long and hard about writing this post as I know talking about your health can put some readers off but B12 affects my life and my work at times. So I hope you don't mind a little indulgence from me as I write about it.

A few years ago after seeing my Doctor it was discovered not only was I anemic but I was low in vitamin B12. I was then given vitamin B12 injections once a week for two weeks and then every three months. That was all my then Doctor told me about it he didn't explain that the b12 was the cause of my tiredness and symptoms or that I shouldn't miss a dose. Yes I missed dose it was then I found out that I need these injections for life, it was a shock so then I did what I we are always told not to do I googled my symptoms and B12 Deficiency. I found a forum and website of the Pernicious Anemia Society which was a great help there were lots of people, experiencing the same thing. I got a book called "Pernicious Anaemia: The Forgotten Disease: The causes and consequences of vitamin B12 deficiency" again it was an eye opener, though I found the bits on science of it all a bit boring but I carried on. There was another book which I must get called "Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" and I have seen a new one called "The B12 Deficiency Survival Handbook" which might be of use. 

So how does it affect me well as I can't digest the b12 from food etc I need injections every twelve weeks and they are not pleasant as they sting really badly but they are so worth that discomfort to feel better in a few days. But usually a few weeks before the next injection is due my symptoms return, this usually is tiredness and I'm talking bone tired so tired that you feel like you could sleep a week and when you wake up you're still tired. Brain fog is the worst and it sometimes gives me some confusion, the weakness returns in my hips and arms and then the what I now know is peripheral neuropathy sets in which is the pins and needles, numbness and painful to touch skin. I am glad I work for myself as when its bad I can't work or end up in bed for a few days Luckily the N.I.C.E guidelines have changed and I can have my injections every ten weeks so I'm off to see my new doctor soon to get it changed. Also the new guidelines state that anyone now diagnosed with b12 deficiency are to have a loading dose of daily injections until their symptoms ease and then the 10 - 12 weekly injections. This is better than when I was diagnosed but the P.A.S is campaigning to get it better still and I've signed their petition which you will find here 

So thats B12 and me my next post will not be as personal and more back to normal. 
Until next time.
Vic xx






No comments:

Post a Comment