Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tutorial - Sewing Jar


I thought I would write up a tutorial on how I transformed the kilner jar in the photo into one with a pincushion lid. There are a few of these tutorials on Pinterest but I found they didn't work with the Kilner Jar I was using hence this tutorial. 

sewing jar



You will need a screw topped Kilner jar or similar type of preserving jar, Fabric, stuffing / fibre fill, glue, cardboard, scissors. 


  • Unscrew the lid and separated the inner metal lid from the ring. Draw around the inner lid on cardboard and cut it out. Next cut the fabric about 1- 2 cm bigger than the cardboard circle.



sewing jar

  • Make small cuts around the edge of the fabric circle, glue the tabs to the cardboard and before finishing stuff with the stuffing / fibre fill. Glue shut and glue to the top of the metal inner lid, place into the screw part and screw the jars shut. Swear a lot as the lid won't go on, get a partner or a strong person to try to screw on lid and watch them swear. 

craft storage


  • Take apart and try the next step.
  • Glue some stuffing / fibre fill to the top of the inner metal lid, cover with the fabric circle and glue to the bottom the lid. Cut a new circle of card and glue on to cover the fabric edges. 


sewing jar


  • Insert into screw part of the lid and screw on to the jar, cheer loudly as its worked. 

craft storage



I filled my jar with some sewing bits and I made a quick needle / pin case with some pieces of felt sewn together.

craft storage

The jar is now sat on a shelf where my family can see it and stop stealing bits from sewing box. 

sewing jar


Until next time
Vic xx










2 comments: